Updated Tue, Sep 27, 2011 8:26 am
SEOAL league play is really starting to heat up. Jackson has been on a tear and has already beaten two of it’s better conference competition. Gallia and Warren will look to duke it out for the second spot as the season progresses, but Logan, Portsmouth and Chillicothe have their sights set on rebounding and challenging the rest of the conference until the very end. Here is how the SEOAL Power Rankings play out:
1. Jackson Ironmen- There is no doubt the Ironmen are the team to beat in the SEOAL. They are the only remaining undefeated team left in the conference and are just rolling both offensively and defensively. After coming out unscathed in big battles against Logan and Warren, Jackson has definitely proven they are the cream of the crop in the SEOAL. They could very well remain undefeated in league play until their regular season finale against Gallia.
2. Gallia Academy Blue Devils- Gallia has been very quiet in the SEOAL so far this season. They have only sustained two losses at the hands of Athens and Ironton by the slimmest of margins. Coach Mike Eddy and the Blue Devils will get their first taste of SEOAL action this week against Logan.
3. Warren Warriors- Warren had their chance to be number one if they could have beaten Jackson this past week but fell at the hands of the Ironmen. Led by quarterback Dylan Leffingwell on offense, the Warriors can still be a dangerous team in the SEOAL. Warren and Gallia will use the rest of their schedules to fight it out for the second place spot in the conference. The two will meet in Vincent on October 21.
4. Logan Chieftains- A tough non-conference schedule has not helped the Chieftains early on this season leading them to a 0-5 record. They have shown signs of hope that they can get back into the thick of things once they kick off SEOAL play this week against Gallia. A big win against the Blue Devils can kick-start Logan’s rush to be a conference dark-horse. The Chiefs will need to cut down on turnovers if they want to make a turnaround. A favorable non-conference schedule slots Logan just ahead of Portsmouth in the rankings.
5. Portsmouth Trojans- Much like Logan, Portsmouth has been plagued by turnovers. Fortunately for them, they got a big, emotional win this past week against Chillicothe in overtime. The Trojans will have to rely on quarterback Mason Jordan to step up and be a playmaker to get the ball rolling in the right direction for Portsmouth. They will face the tough task of matching up with Jackson this Friday.
6. Chillicothe Cavaliers- The Cavaliers sit at 0-5 so far this season and will be looking for a quick turnaround against Hillsboro this weekend. After this week, the Cavaliers will face the top four SEOAL teams to round out their regular season. Chillicothe will be looking to make a statement in these upcoming games and make a late season run, much like last season.