West Portsmouth Woman Saved From House Fire

By
Olivia Bevan

Dateline
Updated Tue, Dec 20, 2011 1:08 pm

A 61-year-old West Portsmouth woman is alive today, thanks to the efforts of her neighbor, two deputies, and three firefighters after flames consumed her home.

Last night, a passerby noticed the woman's house was on fire and told her neighbor. The neighbor arrived at the home quickly, but was unable to get inside.

Two Scioto County sheriff's deputies arrived shortly after and with the help of the neighbor, they tried to pull the woman through a window.

When the firefighters arrived on the scene, they managed to get inside the house and then passed the lady out the window to safety.

The woman was taken to Southern Ohio Medical Center and was released this morning.

"If not for the courageous actions of the neighbor, the Sheriff's Deputies and the Washington Township Firefighters, our investigators would almost certainly be investigating a fire fatality today," says State Fire Marshal Larry Flowers.

The Ohio Division of State Fire Marshal has ruled the fire as accidental, it was caused by unattended cooking. According to the state fire marshal, 60 percent of Ohio residential fires between Thanksgiving Day and New Year's Day are caused by unattended cooking.

Tags: