Health Secrets: What Every Woman Should Know< < Back to
HEALTH SECRETS: WHAT EVERY WOMAN SHOULD KNOW aims to educate and empower women to lead healthier lives by providing them with valuable health information and effective disease-prevention strategies. Each episode spotlights a different, distinct period in a woman's life.The series, hosted by news veteran Paula Zahn (The Retirement Revolu tion) , features compelling personal narratives and interviews with leading medical experts, authors and well-known entertainment personalities and journalists, to help women establish a blueprint for staying healthy across the spectrum of their lives. Participants include: actress Andie MacDowell, comedienne and cervical-cancer survivor Julia Sweeney and renowned breast cancer authority Dr. Susan Love.
HEALTH SECRETS: WHAT EVERY WOMAN SHOULD KNOW
#101 "Coming of Age: Teens and 20s"
A panel of medical experts help mothers talk to their teens about body image, obesity, eating disorders and the HPV vaccine.
* Julie Roth, M.D., Robert Kushner, M.D., Julie Yen, M.D. — Northwestern Memorial Hospital
* Deborah Linder, M.D. — Prentice Women's Hospital
* Ansley Feldman, M.D. — Sanders Court Pediatrics
* Deborah Parra-Medina, Ph.D. — The Institute for Health Promotion Research
* Dawn Jackson Blattner — chef, author & dietician
* Darryl Roberts — director of the documentary America the Beautiful
* Jess Weiner — Global Ambassador for the Dove Self-Esteem Fund and author of Life Doesn't Begin Five Pounds From Now
* Debby Herbenick, PhD, M.P.H. — The Center for Sexual Health Promotion at Indiana University
* Diane Harper, M.D., M.P.H., M.S. — University of Missouri School of Medicine and HPV expert
* Lisa Henry-Reid, M.D. — John H. Stroger Hospital, Division of Adolescent Medicine
* Commentary: Elizabeth Lopez — student
#102 "Turning Point – 30s and 40s"
This episode explores issues pertinent to a woman in her 30s and 40s, including starting a family, infertility, balancing family and work, and stress management.
* Teresa Woodruff, Ph.D. — Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine
* Ralph Kazer, M.D., Lisa Mazzullo, M.D., Erica E. Marsh, M.D. – Prentice Women's Hospital
* Nehama Dresner, M.D. – Northwestern Memorial Hospital
* Melissa Ford – author of Navigating the Land of If
* Ariel Gore – author of Bluebird; Hip Mama's Survival Guide; and Whatever, Mom: Hip Mama's Guide to Raising a Teenager
* Commentary: Sandra Tsing Loh – National Public Radio
#103 "Feeling Good in Midlife"
CBS News' Sunday Morning commentator Nancy Giles, among other guests, focuses on menopause and perimenopause, alternative choices to staying healthy, integrative medicine and age-appropriate health screenings.
*Melinda Ring, M.D., June McKoy, M.D. — Northwestern Memorial Hospital
* Elena Kamel, M.D. — Prentice Women's Hospital
* Pat Wingert — co-author, The Menopause Book; Newsweek reporter
* Margery Gass, M.D. — Executive Director, North American Menopause Society
* Tracy Gaudet, M.D. — Director, Duke Integrative Medicine at Duke University
* Commentary: Nancy Giles – Commentator, CBS News Sunday Morning
#104 "Taking Control After a Diagnosis"
This episode offers helpful advice on disease prevention and examines the options available when dealing with a heart attack, stroke or cancer diagnosis.
* Andie MacDowell — actress and spokesperson for the American Heart Association
* Susan Love, M.D. — author, Dr. Susan Love's Breast Book
* Martha Gulati, M.D., Richard Bernstein, M.D. — Northwestern Memorial Hospital
* Nora Hansen, M.D., Diljeet Singh, M.D. – Prentice Women's Hospital
* Richard Harvey, M.D. — Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago
* Paula Johnson, M.D. — Brigham & Women's Hospital
* Philip Gorelick, M.D. — American Stroke Association
* Commentary: Julia Sweeney, actress/comedienne, Saturday Night Live