Celebrating The Music of Johnny Cash: We Walk the Line!< < Back to
Airs Thursday, Aug. 16 • 8 p.m.
CELEBRATING THE MUSIC OF JOHNNY CASH:
WE WALK THE LINE!
An All-Star Spectacular Tribute Concert in Honor of the Man in Black’s 80th Birthday
In honor of Johnny Cash and what would have been his 80th birthday, Keith Wortman and Don Was have produced a spectacular tribute concert like no other. Grammy-winning producer Was (Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, Bonnie Raitt) served as musical director for this monumental concert taping that features some of the biggest artists in the music industry, including Willie Nelson, Kris Kristofferson, Sheryl Crow, Pat Monahan of Train, Ronnie Dunn, Lucinda Williams, Jamey Johnson, Shooter Jennings and Shelby Lynne, among others. CELEBRATING THE MUSIC OF JOHNNY CASH: WE WALK THE LINE! is part of special programming premiering on WOUB August 16, at 8 p.m.
No one represents American music more than Johnny Cash. Songs like “Walk the Line,” “Folsom Prison Blues” and “Long Black Veil” gave a voice to those who were never sung about. Nearly 60 years after his booming first notes hit the airwaves and almost 10 years since his passing, Johnny Cash is being honored and celebrated as never before. The concert taping took place on April 20, 2012, before a sold-out crowd at The Moody Theatre/ACL Live in Austin, Texas.
The program begins with some of Cash’s biggest hits performed by contemporary music stars, moves on to feature once-in-a-lifetime performances and duets from music legends, then wraps with monumental collaborations among all performers.
CELEBRATING THE MUSIC OF JOHNNY CASH: WE WALK THE LINE! features these performances:
• “Folsom Prison Blues” – Brandi Carlisle
• “Hey Porter” – Buddy Miller
• “I’m So Lonesome” – Amy Lee
• “Help Me Make It Through the Night” – Pat Monahan
• “Jackson” – Carolina Chocolate Drops
• “Ring of Fire” – Ronnie Dunn
• “Long Black Veil” – Sam Beam
• “Hurt” – Lucinda Williams
• “Cocaine Blues” – Shooter Jennings (and Amy Nelson)
• “The Highwayman” – Willie Nelson, Kris Kristofferson, Jamey Johnson, Shooter Jennings
• “It Ain’t Me Babe” – Shelby Lynne and Pat Monahan
• “Big River” – Kris Kristofferson
• “Cry Cry Cry” – Sheryl Crow
• “Sunday Morning Coming Down” – Kris Kristofferson and Jamey Johnson
• “If I Were a Carpenter” – Willie Nelson and Sheryl Crow
• “Walk the Line” – All Artists
PBS special programming invites viewers to experience the worlds of science, history, nature and public affairs; hear diverse viewpoints; and take front-row seats to world-class drama and performances. Viewer contributions are an important source of funding, making PBS programs possible. PBS and public television stations offer all Americans from every walk of life the opportunity to explore new ideas and new worlds through television and online content.