Southeast Ohio Trails To Receive Federal Funding

By
Chris Schmitt

Dateline
Updated Wed, Oct 24, 2012 4:20 pm

Fourteen Ohio trails have been selected to share more than $1.6 million in federal funds through the Ohio Department of Natural Resources' Recreational Trails Program.

Four of the trail renovation projects will take place in southeast Ohio, including Pike, Perry and Jackson counties.

Of the 66 applications that ODNR received, the 14 projects awarded funding were selected based on the justification of trail need, trail linkages and public participation. ODNR officials say the funds will be applied towards grading, trail improvement and sign repair expenses for local APV trails. 

D'Juan Hammonds, ODNR program administrator, said the funding will help to create short-term jobs and improve the overall health of local communities.

"The main goal is to provide alternative transportation and establish new and renovated recreational opportunities throughout the state of Ohio," Hammonds said.

The Recreational Trails Program provides up to 80 percent's of a project's funding, requiring local communities to supply the remaining 20 percent.

"Our program is designed to allow communities to provide in-kind labor or in-kind donations to the project that would account or could be used as matched towards a project," said Hammonds.

Hammonds said multipurpose motorized, non-motorized and diverse trails will all receive funding.

Tags: