Updated Mon, Jan 7, 2013 11:03 am
UPDATE: 11:00 a.m. A judge in Ohio has indefinitely delayed the murder trial of an 18-year-old charged in the school shooting deaths of three students.
Judge David Fuhry in Chardon, east of Cleveland, said Monday that he will hold a hearing in late January to discuss a new trial date. The trial of T.J. Lane had been scheduled to begin next Monday.
Prosecutors and defense attorneys asked for the delay because new evidence has emerged. The nature of the evidence was not disclosed in court.
Prosecutors said Lane took a .22-caliber pistol and a knife to Chardon High School last Feb. 27 and fired 10 shots at a group of students in the cafeteria.
Lane was at the school waiting for a bus to his alternative school.
A judge is expected to consider a request to delay next week's scheduled trial of an Ohio teenager charged in the school shooting deaths of three students.
The final pretrial hearing for 18-year-old T.J. Lane is scheduled for Monday morning in Chardon. The judge is expected to discuss with attorneys a motion filed last week seeking to postpone the trial to give them more time to prepare.
Prosecutors and Lane's attorneys agree on the proposed delay. The trial is scheduled to start Jan. 14.
Prosecutors say Lane took a .22-caliber pistol and a knife to Chardon High School last Feb. 27 and fired 10 shots at a group of students sitting at a cafeteria table. Three were killed and three others were wounded.