Putnam County Fire That Killed 2 Kids Ruled Accidental

Posted on:

< < Back to
A state fire official says a boy playing with a lighter caused a fire that killed his brother and sister.
Assistant state fire marshal Shawn Alderman tells media outlets that the victims were a 9-year-old boy and a 3-year-old girl. Both died of smoke inhalation.
The fire occurred Sunday morning at a mobile home in Scott Depot. Firefighters found the victims in their bedrooms. Their names haven't been released.
Alderman says the victims' 7-year-old brother accidentally set curtains in the living room on fire while playing with a lighter.
Police say the 7-year-old and an adult who also lived in the mobile home escaped the fire. The boy was treated for smoke inhalation at a local hospital and released.