Governor Says Mass Transit Resuming In Boston< < Back to
UPDATE 6:20 PM: Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick says mass transit service is resuming in Boston even though one Boston Marathon bombing suspect is still on the lam.
Authorities in Boston had suspended all mass transit and warned close to 1 million people in the entire city and some of its suburbs to stay indoors as the hunt for one suspect went on. The other suspect, his brother, died in a desperate getaway attempt.
The brothers are suspects in Monday's marathon bombings, which killed three people and wounded more than 180 others. The men are also suspected of killing a Massachusetts Institute of Technology police officer in his vehicle late Thursday.
Patrick reminded people to "remain vigilant if you are out."
It's been far from a normal Friday in Boston and the surrounding area, as thousands of officers with rifles and armored vehicles swarm the streets. They're continuing the search for a 19-year-old college student who is wanted in the Boston Marathon bombing.
Boston and some of its suburbs are still at a virtual standstill. Public transit systems have been idle today, and people in Boston were told to stay where they are. Several area colleges and universities were locked down. And the Red Sox and Bruins have postponed their games tonight.
A man staying at a veteran's shelter in the shadow of City Hall said the scene was "creepy" — with helicopters flying overhead, and authorities with automatic weapons in the streets.
Residents and tourists alike were frustrated and angry by the shutdown.
One man visiting from New York — wandering the empty plaza beside a statue of Samuel Adams — says it took him an hour and a half to find a cup of coffee. A couple from Dallas had been hoping to visit the Museum of Fine Art, Fenway Park and other landmarks — but instead were having a hard time just finding a restaurant that was open.