Williamstown Falls In Matchup Of Class A Giants

Posted on:

< < Back to

In a game between the top two teams in West Virginia Class A, No. 2 St. Marys used a relentless rushing attack to defeat No. 1 Williamstown at home Friday, 32-13.

After forcing a punt on the first possession of the game, the Blue Devils ran into a tough Yellow Jacket defense on their first possession. Williamstown forced a three-and-out, capped by a Brandon Root sack on quarterback Michael Stout, and the Blue Devils lined up to punt.

On the return, fullback David Hastings met a host of Blue Devils and fumbled the football. St. Marys recovered to take over in Yellow Jacket territory.

The Blue Devils took full advantage of the Williamstown special teams mistake.

Over five-and-a-half minutes, the Blue Devils drove 53 yards, and halfback David Gray punched in a 3-yard run to give St. Marys a 6-0 lead. The key play of the drive came on a fourth-and-2 on the Williamstown 44-yard line. Lined up in punt formation, the Blue Devils put the ball in Jeremy Pratt’s hands, and he rumbled for 7 yards to give St. Mary’s a first down.

Pratt finished the game with 94 yards on 15 carries.

On its next possession, St. Marys put together a 12-play 73-yard drive in six-and-a-half minutes, ending again in a touchdown. The Blue Devils led 12-0 after two possessions.

With one minute remaining in the first half, Williamstown forced a fumble deep in St. Marys territory. Tracewell ran in a touchdown to bring the score to 12-6 at half.

Tracewell rushed for 113 yards on the night, but struggled passing the ball. The senior finished the game 2-for-7 with 15 passing yards and three interceptions.

The teams traded touchdowns in the third quarter to make it 18-12, before St. Marys ended the game with 14 unanswered points.

The Blue Devils outgained the Yellow Jackets in total yardage, 276-166, and finished with 21 first downs. Williamstown managed only six first downs on the night.

Williamstown will be back in action Friday, Oct. 11, at Oak Glen (W.Va.).