Ohio University Women’s Center Hosts Annual Love Yourself Week< < Back to
ATHENS, Ohio — The Women’s Center at Ohio University strives to be an essential part of the university’s transformative learning community by hosting its annual Love Yourself Week. The Women’s Center encourages inclusion, honors difference, and works with students, staff and faculty to promote the welfare of the community.
Love Yourself Week is a series of events promoting self-esteem, professional development and celebrating the success of women.
Marykathyrine Tran, Assistant Director of The Women’s Center, Love Yourself Week brings excitement to the community.
The Women’s Center has a mission to promote awareness and education regarding diversity and gender among those connected to Ohio University.
“Love yourself week is really focused on looking at yourself as a whole person, right?” Tran said. “Oftentimes I think people see messages like love your body or stuff like that. We really encourage folks to look beyond the physical parts of ourselves and to who we are holistically and as whole people.”
Love Yourself Week events were held throughout the week of Nov. 8. Some of these events included:
- EmpowerParty – Love Yourself through Building Community
- Love Yourself through Movement: A Self-Appreciation Yoga Workshop
- Affirmation & Confidence Jars and Dr. Yvonne Kangong, MD, MPH, CCFP as a Featured Speaker
- ACE Women’s Network Ohio Conference
- National Eating Disorders Association Walk
Love Yourself Week participant, Sydney Williams, said this week could not have come at a better time.
“Specifically it’s really helpful for me, this week in particular,” Williams said. “I have like three different exams and two essays due so it is going to be a really busy week for me. And especially with the room where you put together a little care package for yourself, that’s going to be really helpful for me to like, take a little bit of time to myself and relax.”
The Women’s Center also provides a women’s mentoring program and a young women leaders’ program.
The Women’s Center is hosting three upcoming events on Nov. 15, Nov. 17 and Nov. 18. These events include:
- Identifying Rape Culture and How to Respond
- American Association of University Women Start Smart Salary Negotiation Workshop
- Thirsting for Knowledge Thursday: Making Games a Welcoming Space for All
More information regarding The Women’s Center and the services provided can be found on Ohio University’s website.