The Athens Farmer’s Market celebrates 50 years of serving its community in 2022< < Back to culture
The Athens Farmers Market (AFM) is celebrating 50 years of serving the community this year with a variety of special events taking place throughout the summer and into the fall.
WOUB’s Emily Votaw profiled the market in honor of its impressive 2022 anniversary this year, and you can hear the resulting audio story embedded above.
The feature includes interviews with Athens Farmers Market manager Tanya Hire, long-time AFM vendor and member of the market’s Executive Committee and Staff Ronda Clark, representatives of Community Food Initiatives, local musician Steve Zarate (who also allowed WOUB to use his musical tribute to the AFM, “A Wonderful Place to Go” in the segment) and AFM vendor and grandson of one of the founding AFM vendors, Eric Wagner of Wagner Fruit Farms.
Find a list of upcoming events for the Athens Farmers Market below.
• Through June: In partnership with the Southeast Ohio History Center, From Farm to Table exhibit celebrates the rich agriculture and food culture of our region.
• June 18: Father’s Day: dad’s get a complimentary raffle ticket for a chance to win an AFM gift basket.
• June 25: Special guests include Rufus and Ohio Athletics
• July 2: Special guests include Veterans’ organizations. Veterans get a complimentary raffle ticket for a chance to win an AFM gift basket.
• July 9: Ohio Brew Week. Special guests include Rufus and Ohio Athletics and the Southern Ohio Copperheads.
• July 23: Customer Appreciation Day with market merchandise giveaways. Special guest is Buckeye Fresh, with a remote broadcast by WSEO Wild Country 107.7 FM radio.
• August 13. National Farmers Market Week
• August 18 Community Cookoff. Special guest is Buckeye Fresh.
• Sept. 3 Vendor Appreciation Day, with a remote broadcast by WSEO Wild Country 107.7 FM radio.
• Sept. 17 OHIO University Day. Students get a complimentary raffle ticket for a chance to win an AFM gift basket.