Heath knocks out Portsmouth West with 27-15 upset victory

Posted on:

< < Back to

WEST PORTSMOUTH, Ohio (WOUB) – The Portsmouth West Senators’ (8-3) season came to an early end after a 27-15 loss to the Heath Bulldogs (9-2).

The eight versus nine matchup in Region 19 of Division V was expected to be a close battle and the game lived up to the hype. Portsmouth West got the ball to start the contest and it played its’ style of football early.

The Senators marched down the field with power running to quickly find themselves in the red zone. However, the drive stalled once they got themselves inside the 20-yard line and they were forced to settle for a field goal.

The kick was good to put Portsmouth West ahead 3-0. Portsmouth West continued to keep its foot on the gas in the second quarter. Senior quarterback Cole Tipton connected with star wide receiver Jeffery Bishop for a big play to put the Senators back into Heath territory.

Running back Mason Parker capped off the drive with a four-yard touchdown run to make it a 9-0 ballgame in favor of the Senators. Parker finished the game with 23 carries for 139 yards and the touchdown. The Senators were rolling, until the Bulldogs bit back.

Heath strung together a strong drive of its own late in the second quarter. With less than three minutes in the first half, Bulldog quarterback Brayden Bayles finished off the drive with a four-yard touchdown run of his own to pull back within one score, 9-7 Portsmouth West.

The Senators got the ball back with an opportunity to put more points on the board before the half, but were unable to do so. The two teams trotted into the locker room with a 9-7 score in favor of Portsmouth West.

Out of the break, it was all Bulldogs.

On its first drive of the half, Heath found the endzone. This time through the air, Bayles connected with running back Connor Corbett for a 54-yard score. Just like that, the Bulldogs took the lead 14-9.

Heath continued to pour it on in the third. Bayles scored his third touchdown of the night with a three yard scramble to extend the lead to 12, 21-9 Bulldogs.

With their backs against the wall, the Senators turned to their main man. Just under three minutes left in the third quarter, Tipton found Bishop again, this time for 51-yards and a score to make it a one score game, 21-15 Bulldogs.

Bishop finished the night with four catches for 113 yards and the touchdown.

With momentum slipping for Heath, Bayles answered the bell again.

Midway through the fourth quarter, the senior quarterback delivered the dagger with a 34-yard touchdown pass to make it a 27-15 ballgame.

Bayles went 17/25 for 204 passing yards and four total touchdowns. Heath’s defense stood tall with the two score lead and the Bulldogs knocked off the Senators 27-15.

Heath advances to play the Ironton Fighting Tigers on Nov 3.