Ohio Soccer Falls 4-2 to Indiana

Posted on:

< < Back to

The Ohio Women’s Soccer team (0-2) fell 4-2 in a back and forth match against the Indiana Hoosiers (2-0) in their second game of a three game out-of-conference road trip. Despite being tied up at half time, the Bobcats could not over come Indiana’s offensive efficiency throughout the game.

The mid-day game in Bloomington, Indiana started off with both teams feeling each other out. Early on only the Hoosiers had registered one shot as neither team wanted to take a big chance. However, Indiana was first on the scoreboard with a spectacular individual performance by Lisa Nouanesengsy, dribbling by two defenders and slotting home a goal in the 18th minute.

The Bobcats quickly responded, and showed their superb ability to play the ball in the air, as striker Maggie Murnane headed in a Natalie Betchel cross only seven minutes later. Ohio continued to up the pressure, earning a penalty kick in the 28th minute which senior midfielder Cat Rogers coolly placed in the back of the net for a 2-1 lead.

Orianica Velasquez showed why she was a member of the Columbian international team at the 2012 London Olympics when she curled in a free kick from about 25 yards away to level the match at two goals apiece only a minute later. The Hoosiers carried that momentum right up until halftime, taking the lead for good in the 44th minute as Jordan Woolums dribbled through three defenders and then beating keeper Mattie Liston to give Indiana the 3-2 advantage.

The Bobcats were out shot by Indiana 9-8 at the half but while seven of those shots for the Hoosiers were on target, only four for the Bobcats managed to test the Indiana goalkeeper. Indiana also held the advantage on corner kicks at 3-2. 

With the second half underway the Bobcats continued to probe for a way back into the match. The momentum hung in the balance and Ohio continued to press for the equalizer. In the 73rd minute, the Hoosiers would put the game out of reach when Rebecca Dreher was able to latch on a to a ball played into the eighteen-yard box to increase the deficit to two goals.

Ohio continued to push but was unable to find a way back and fell 4-2 as the final whistle blew. The Hoosiers out shot the Bobcats 20-9 when all was said and done and had ten shots on goal compared to Ohio’s four. The Bobcats next head to Chicago, Illinois this Friday, Aug. 24 as they take on DePaul at 4pm.