Memorial Day In The USA< < Back to
Many of us are anticipating the upcoming extended weekend as we prepare to celebrate and honor Memorial Day 2014 in the United States of America. Just some of the activities may be: cookouts, graduations, parades, vacations, barbeques, time for home and yard improvements, picnics, family reunions, class reunions, remembering our loved ones by adorning grave stones with flowers, local and national performances honoring our fallen and current military service people, snoozing in your hammock…AND…MOST IMPORTANTLY a time of reflection and remembrance. Display the American flag proudly, be safe, and, enjoy time with those in your life that you care deeply for.
Do you recall these quotes? Mark Twain stated, “Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.” Former president George Washington stated, “Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism.” And, one of the most famous quotes of all time that is from former president, John F. Kennedy, “My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country.”
On The Grill
CORN ON THE COB…AH SHUCKS! Don’t shuck it! No, no, leave it all on. Soak your corn in water for about 60 minutes. Place on 425 degree preheated grill for approximately 25-30 minutes. Now you can shuck it and butter it down. Salt and pepper please.
GRILLED SHRIMP…preheat your grill to 425 degrees; spray or rub with oil. In order to keep your shrimp from spinning while skewered, double skewer them.
VEGGIES…preheat your grill to 425 degrees; create foil packs of green beans and mushrooms with extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper. Place pack on grill and heat until tender, approximately 12 minutes.
Courtesy of – Grill Skills from Charlie Worthington from Better Homes and Gardens
1 fresh pineapple
¼ cup of rum
¼ cup of brown sugar
1 T. ground cinnamon
½ t. ground ginger
½ t. ground nutmeg
½ t. ground cloves
1. Peel the pineapple and, leaving it whole, cut out the center core. Slice into 8 rings and place them in a shallow glass dish or resealable plastic bag. In a small bowl, mix together the rum, brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves. Pour marinade over the pineapple, cover, and refrigerate for 1 hour or overnight.
2. Preheat grill for high heat. Lightly oil grate.
3. Grill pineapple rings 15 minutes, turning once or until outside is dry and char-made. Serve with remaining marinade.
Prep Time: 30 minutes; cook time: 3 hours; ready in: 11 hours, 30 minutes
4 pounds baby back ribs
4 cloves garlic, sliced
1 T. white sugar
1 T. paprika
2 t. salt
2 t. ground black pepper
2 t. chili powder
2 t. ground cumin
½ cup dark brown sugar
½ cup cider vinegar
½ cup ketchup
¼ cup chili sauce
¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
1 T. lemon juice
2 T. onion, chopped
½ t. dry mustard
1 clove crushed garlic
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degree C). Place ribs on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Scatter 4 cloves of sliced garlic over ribs. Cover, and bake for 2 ½ hours. Cool slightly.
2. In a small bowl, mix together white sugar, paprika, salt, black pepper, chili powder, and ground cumin. Rub spices over cooled ribs. Cover, and refrigerate overnight.
3. In a small saucepan, mix together brown sugar, cider vinegar, ketchup, chili sauce, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, onion, dry mustard, and 1 clove of garlic. Summer over medium-low heat, uncovered, for 1 hour. Reserve a small amount for basting; the remainder is a dipping sauce.
4. Preheat grill for medium heat.
5. Place ribs on grill. Grill, covered, for about 12 minutes, basting with the reserved sauce until nicely browned and glazed. Serve with remaining sauce for dipping.
1 (5 ounce) package instant vanilla pudding mix
3 cups cold milk
1 (9 inch) angel food cake, cut in cubes
4 bananas, sliced
1 (16 ounce) package frozen strawberries, thawed
1 (12 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
1. Prepare pudding with milk according to package directions. In a trifle bowl or other glass serving dish, layer half the cake pieces, half the pudding, half the bananas, half the strawberries and half the whipped topping. Repeat layers. Cover and chill in refrigerator 4 hours before serving.
Courtesy of Allrecipes.com