Fire Destroys Albany Home

By: ,
Posted on:

< < Back to

A fire claimed the home and Christmas presents of an Albany family, along with the life of the two dogs that alerted them to the fire.

The fire broke out at 5904 State St. in Albany early Thursday morning. Four Albany Fire Department trucks with 12 firefighters responded to the rental home at 3:23 a.m., according to Albany Fire Chief Warren Keirns.

The residence was the home of Linda Bagley, Brad Bennett and their two young daughters. None of the four were injured, but their two dogs perished in the fire, despite attempts by Bennett to get the dogs out, according to Keirns.

The family is currently staying with a friend in Albany, Rebecca Hughes-Wogerman. According to Hughes-Wogerman, the family did not have renters' insurance and lost all of their belongings, including Christmas presents. She said they are in need of everything from household items to shoes and clothing. 

Those wanting to donate items to the family can contact Hughes-Wogerman at (614) 378-8382 or Bagley at 591-4336.

Keirns said the house was "one of the original houses in the area." The house was built in 1900, according to records kept by Athens County Auditor's Office.

Any building that was built before 1900 defaults to that year if the actual year is not known by the auditor's office.

The building was a complete loss and though no definite cause has been identified, Keirns said he thinks the fire was accidental and started on the enclosed back porch of the home.

"That's where most of the damage is," Keirns said.