Photo credit: Logan Riely

Ohio Soccer Still Winless, Loses 3-0 to Kentucky

Posted on:

< < Back to

The Bobcats defense did all it could, but the Wildcats offense was just too much as Kentucky won 3-0 on Sunday night, and dropped the ‘Cats to 0-5.

After Ohio goalkeeper Vanessa Cordoba hit the ground hard after an air challenge, she had to be helped off the field. Freshman goalie Erin Beurket came in in the 27th-minute, and played a very solid game. Cordoba appeared out of the locker room after halftime on crutches.

Kentucky’s first goal came at the eight-minute mark after Katy Keen passed it to Zoe Swift and Swift put it away from close range for her third goal of the season.

The Bobcats held out for much of the first half to not give up another goal, even though Kentucky continued to search for a second.

The Wildcats had 12 shots and six on goal, while the Bobcats only had three shots and two on goal in the first half. Kentucky had the ball in Ohio’s half for almost the entire half, but Kentucky went into halftime up 1-0.

Kentucky’s second goal finally came at the 49-minute mark, as Cara Ledman puts her skills on display as she dribbled past Mollie Whitacre like she wasn’t there and slotted it near post to put the Wildcats up 2-0.

Kentucky continued to control the ball and a third goal came in the 65th-minute when the ball fell to Kelly Novak inside the 18-yard box. Novak took a touch and finessed the shot into the bottom left corner to make it 3-0. Ohio’s goalkeeper couldn’t do anything about the shot.

Ohio attempted to comeback, but the Bobcats just couldn’t put anything offensively together. Every time Ohio possessed the ball in Kentucky’s half, the Wildcats made a key tackle and regained possession.

The Bobcats finished with no shots in the second half. Kentucky had 17 shots and eight on goal in the game. Ohio also had no corner kicks, while the Wildcats had 10.

The Bobcats’ next attempt at a win comes on Friday at home against Robert Morris. Kickoff is at 5 p.m.