Photo credit: Logan Riely

Ohio and Marshall Tie After Two Overtimes

Posted on:

< < Back to

Ohio soccer hosted Marshall in what was considered one of the biggest conference matches on their schedule. After last week’s loss against High Point, the Bobcats came focused and ready to play and it showed in the game.

It was just 3 minutes into the quarter when Marshall’s Sydney Arnold scored the first goal of the game, bringing the score to 1-0 for the majority of the 1st half. The ball was kicked all over the field as both teams manage to come into possession but no goals were scored.

Nearly a half hour in, freshman Sydney Leckie scored not only the first goal for the Bobcats but also her first collegiate goal which tied up the game 1-1 at the end of the 1st half.

In the 2nd half, both teams showed aggressiveness and fought hard and both teams attempted shots. It wasn’t until 15 minutes in when Marshall finally managed to break the tie with a penalty kick by Shontelle Smith bringing the score to 2-1.

At this point of the match, it was almost as if it was just one big shoot out as both teams continued to attempt shots until Ohio’s Courtney Daugerdas scored the next goal as she was assisted by Sydney Leckie.

The game went into 2 overtime periods with the continuous shooting from both teams. Finally, Courtney Daugerdas kicked a wide shot and scored the Bobcats’ final goal to tie the game and bring the final score to 2-2.

“I was just surprised. It just felt like everything I worked for came into place then” Leckie said about her first collegiate goal that tied the game. “I think that this game showed us that we really can win.”

“I would’ve liked to see them play a little bit better in the first half. They (Marshall) did some great things to knock us out of rhythm; I was very proud of our girls to come back twice” coach Aaron Rodgers said. “It’s a great rivalry between Marshall and Ohio.”

Ohio soccer will travel to Pittsburgh as they play Robert Morris away on Sunday Sep. 11 at 1:00 p.m.