Roles Reverse in Ohio Hockey’s Second Straight Overtime

Posted on:

< < Back to

For the second straight night, the No. 8 Ohio Bobcats and No. 11 Stony Brook Seawolves need more than 60 minutes to decide a winner.  However, unlike last night the Bobcats were unable to get the victory, losing 3-2 on Saturday night.

Ohio and Stony Brook played to a scoreless draw for nearly the first 12 minutes.  Unlike last night, the Bobcats were able to get the upper hand on the Seawolves with a goal from freshman Kyle Craddick.

Another area of improvement for Ohio throughout the early portion of the game was their ability to control the puck and get off much quality looks at the net. The Bobcats defense was also strong early on as they limited Stony Brook to just four shots on goal in the opening 20 minutes.

“Early on we were more prepared to play,” forward Tyler Harkins said. “We are really big on the first two minutes and last two minutes of a period.  I thought we did a good job of not letting [Stony Brook] score early on.”

During the first five minutes of the second period, Stony Brook began to be more aggressive on the offensive end.  Their aggressiveness was rewarded with a goal from Joey Slevin, this tied the game at 1-1.

As they did all throughout the game on Friday, Ohio answered the Stony Brook goal with one of their own to regain the lead 2-1.  That lead, however, lasted only for a few minutes as Seawolves defenseman Bradley Riccardi put a rebounded puck past Jimmy Thomas to tie the game at 2-2.

In the second period, the game began to get more physical and the referees cracked down on the play out on the ice.  After there were no penalties called in the first 20 minutes, a total of eight penalties were called in the second period.

Each team’s penalty kills unit was up to the task though as neither side registered a power-play goal in the period. Ohio’s power play unit still remains a work in progress for the team.

“We’re not making the skilled plays,” head coach Sean Hogan said.  “When we get a shot we’re not shooting, we’re holding [the puck] too long.  We’re not quite quick enough on the power play.”

With the game tied 2-2 heading into the final 20 minutes, Ohio would look to once again outplay the Seawolves in the third period.

For the entire period, both sides had their chances to take the lead but were unable to.  Ohio’s Jimmy Thomas made a couple phenomenal saves late in the period to preserve the tie.

“[Jimmy] made a great save late, he did great tonight,” Hogan said. “Can’t be upset with the way he played tonight, that’s for sure.”

After a scoreless period, the teams would once again do battle in a 3-on-3 sudden death overtime period.  Just like Friday’s overtime period, Ohio began the period with possession.

However, the ‘Cats quickly turned the puck over and committed a penalty.  Before the play was even blown dead, Stony Brook won the game off a nifty move and tap-in goal from Bradley Riccardi just 15 seconds into the overtime period.

Overall it was a solid weekend for Ohio given the tough circumstances that team faced all weekend.  While the team was shorthanded in both games, they are not using it as an excuse whatsoever.

“I am not going to blame [the loss] on fatigue,” Harkins said postgame.  “We are a well-conditioned team and I think that has helped us. Obviously, we want to go and win every game, this loss hurts but it is nothing we can’t get over.”

The ‘Cats will be on the road next weekend where they will battle the Liberty Flames.