West Virginia County Schools Get Carbon Monoxide Detectors< < Back to
CHARLESTON, W.Va. (AP) – Schools in one West Virginia county are getting outfitted with carbon monoxide detectors after a December leak unveiled a need.
News outlets report this comes after last year’s leak at an elementary school when South Charleston Fire Chief Virgil White said 40 parts per million of carbon monoxide were detected in the gymnasium and cafeteria in November and 60 parts per million in December. No one was injured and the area was closed for repairs.
Kanawha County Schools communications director Briana Warner says the county’s schools aren’t required to have detectors and none of the county’s schools had them last year, but now 500 carbon detectors totaling about $14,000 are being installed.
Kanawha County Del. Andrew Byrd has introduced a bill that would require detectors in schools and daycares statewide.