Henry Louis Gates, Jr. – Uncovering America | Saturday, March 23 at 5 pm< < Back to
HENRY LOUIS GATES, JR. – UNCOVERING AMERICA
Premieres March 23, 2019 on WOUB
– A Celebration of the Renowned Cultural Historian’s Work –
HENRY LOUIS GATES, JR. ¬– UNCOVERING AMERICA celebrates the life and work of the Emmy Award-winning filmmaker and literary scholar. A leading figure in American cultural life and one of its most renowned, respected and popular cultural historians and personalities, Henry Louis Gates, Jr. has authored or co-authored 22 books and created 18 documentary films. His award-winning programs on PBS have helped history come alive to tens of millions of people, often telling surprising and unexpected stories of our collective heritage. Hosted by Courtney B. Vance, HENRY LOUIS GATES, JR. – UNCOVERING AMERICA is part of special programming premiering on PBS stations in March 2019.
UNCOVERING AMERICA features appearances by distinguished historians, scholars and guests seen in his work including:
• Ken Burns, filmmaker
• Jodie Foster, actor and director
• Jelani Cobb, author, historian and Professor of Journalism at Columbia University
• Dr. Drew Gilpin Faust, historian and former President of Harvard
• LL Cool J, hip-hop recording artist, producer, actor and author
• Paula Kerger, President and CEO of PBS
• Eric Deggans, NPR TV critic and author
• Dr. Kellie Jackson, Professor at Wellesley College
PBS special programming invites viewers to experience the worlds of science, history, nature and public affairs; hear diverse viewpoints; and take front-row seats to world-class drama and performances. Viewer contributions are an important source of funding, making PBS programs possible. PBS and public television stations offer all Americans from every walk of life the opportunity to explore new ideas and new worlds through television and online content.