Athens Co. Up to Three Confirmed Cases of COVID-19< < Back to
ATHENS, Ohio (WOUB) — Athens County has now confirmed three cases of COVID-19.
The Athens City-County Health Department announced the third case had been confirmed in an email on Sunday, March 29. No other details about the case were provided.
The department said after the first confirmation on Thursday, March 26 that an investigation into the patients’ close contacts was underway.
Anyone experiencing respiratory symptoms is asked to call their primary care physician, urgent care, or emergency department before arriving for care to let them know that they believe they are experiencing symptoms related to COVID-19 virus.
The Ohio Department of Health confirmed 1,653 positive cases of COVID-19 statewide as of Sunday, March 29 at 2 p.m. There are 403 hospitalizations and 29 reported deaths.
The DOH makes the following recommendations to protect yourself from illness:
- Wash hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds; dry hands with a clean towel or air dry hands.
- Use alcohol-based hand sanitizer when soap and water are unavailable.
- Cover your mouth with a tissue or sleeve when sneezing or coughing. Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth with unwashed hands.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Avoid contact with people who are sick.
Ohio’s coronavirus call center is open to answer questions from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. daily. The hotline number is 1-833-4-ASK-ODH or 1-833-427-5634. More information is available at coronavirus.ohio.gov.