Introduction to Backpacking Course
September 30 @ 6:00 pm - October 2 @ 1:00 pm$250
Enjoy a beautiful section of the Buckeye trail while taking part in your 1st or your 21st backpacking adventure. Participants will learn all necessary skills to complete a backpacking trip, and will leave empowered to hit the trail again soon. This is a good first backpacking trip for people with hiking experiences or a regular fitness routine. It is also a fun time for people with backpack experiences to share the love of the trail with others. This is a fully supported course providing food, rentable gear, and hands-on instruction on all beginner topics.
Friday Sept. 30th
- Meet at Tecumseh Theater for gear shakedown at 6 PM. Expert backpacking guides will go over participants’ gear to ensure everyone is prepared for the adventure.
- Dinner suggestions: Black Diamond Tavern, Little Italy Pizza (to order)
- Join the group for comradery around the fire behind the Buckeye Trail Association headquarters.
- Lodging suggestions: Sleep in Tecumseh Theater (contact Scott @ 740-592-4106, Burr Oak lodge/ Burr Oak camping, Camping at Stone Church trail in Shawnee
Saturday October 1st
- Check in at Tecumseh Theater 8 AM
- A three to six mile backpacking route with a camping option at mile marker three at the Up Stream Rock Run Restoration Area. Participants will have the option to continue hiking for up to three more miles or stay at the campsite to learn survival skills and various camping actives and skills.
- All participants will receive a Leave No Trace(LNT) Awareness certification while hiking with a LNT instructor and learning the various LNT principles throughout the Backpacking Course
- Locally sourced lunch and dinner with be provided
Sunday October 2nd
- Participants will be provided a locally sourced backcountry breakfast
- Three mile hike back to trail head
- Debrief & LNT Certifications at Tecumseh Theater
Participants gear needed:
- Tent *
- Sleeping Bag*
- Sleeping Pad*
- Water filtration system – recommend Sawyer Squeeze
- Personal Hygiene kit
- Personal Mess Kit
- Sturdy Hiking Shoes/Boots
Items with * are able to be rented for the weekend for additional cost if needed.