Boys Basketball: Parsons too much to handle as Lancers top Wildcats

Posted on:

< < Back to

[Editor's Note: The Stat Screen at the end of the video indicates that Waterford's next game will be against Frontier, but their actual next game will be on February 10th against Eastern.]

The Waterford Wildcats rolled into Stewart Tuesday night but fell to the Federal Hocking Lancers, 61-49. The reason? Shawn Parsons went nuts. The Wildcats could not stop Parsons' speed and offensive game whatsoever. Whatever shot Parsons wanted, he got it.

Fed Hock played with purpose and passion while controlling the game on their home court tonight. The referees were letting both teams play physically and fast paced. Federal Hocking had 23 rebounds and only six turnovers overall. The Lancers used crisp ball movement throughout the game to fuel their offense, finishing with 13 assists on the game. 

During the first half the Lancers started to steadily increase their lead with Parsons' three point success and ended the first half leading 27-19. Waterford only had four field goals as a team ending the half, and they struggled to finish shots in the paint with Chris Saylor clogging the paint. Saylor pulled in six boards and was an intimidator around the glass all night. 

Parsons ended the game with 22 points and three assists and Austin Russell was right behind him with 13 points and five rebounds. Federal Hocking didn't just have to depend on Parsons, the Lancers had a lot of contributors coming off the bench. Max Carney was instrumental throughout the game with nine points and three rebounds. Delbert Crum also was an offensive threat with 12 points and three rebounds. 

The Wildcats stayed strong and hung around for most of the game, but that was until the second half. The Lancers started to extend their lead and leave the Wildcats in the dust. Austin Shriver had 20 points. The Wildcats were struggling from the field, so they had to manufacture some offense at the free throw line. Tate Lang had 11 of his 19 points at the foul line. Despite their success at the foul line, it wasn't enough to slide by the Lancers. After the loss, the Wildcats drop to 8-7 overall. Waterford has lost its third straight game after having reeled off eight consecutive wins. 

The Lancers now stand 9-8 overall, and are preparing to take on South Gallia at their place on February fourteenth. They dropped their first meeting with the Rebels 72-56, and will be looking for a different outcome this time around. 

The Waterford Wildcats will take on the Eastern Eagles Feb. 10 at home. They got by the Eagles back in January, and they will try to fight their way back into the win column.