Lawmaker: No Clear Suspect In Boston Attack< < Back to
UPDATE 5:52 p.m. A Massachusetts congressman says investigators still don't know whether the Boston Marathon bombs were the work of domestic or foreign attackers.
Democratic Rep. William Keating says Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano told him Tuesday that there was no intelligence chatter before the attack Monday that killed three people and wounded more than 170 others. No one has taken responsibility for the twin bomb blasts.
Earlier Tuesday Napolitano said there also was no evidence that the Boston attack was part of a broader plot.
UPDATE 3:55 p.m. A law enforcement official says it's possible that a man who was stopped by police as he ran from the scene of yesterday's bombings at the Boston marathon was simply running to protect himself from the blast, as many others did.
The official says the man was tackled by a bystander, and then by police.
According to police, this is the man whose apartment in the Boston suburb of Revere was searched by FBI agents overnight. Investigators were seen leaving with brown paper bags, plastic trash bags and a duffel bag.
UPDATE 3:30 p.m. Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano says there is no evidence that the bombings at the Boston Marathon are part of a wider plot.
Napolitano says DHS will maintain what she called "enhanced security measures at transportation hubs" as a precaution.
Two people briefed on the investigation told The Associated Press that a pair of bombs packed into pressure cookers and concealed in duffel bags blew up within seconds of each other.
They spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not allowed to discuss the details publicly.
Three people were killed and more than 170 people were wounded in the blasts Monday near the finish line of the Boston Marathon.
UPDATE 2:50 p.m. The two bombs were fashioned out of 6-liter kitchen pressure cookers, packed with shrapnel and explosives, and hidden in black duffel bags left on the ground, according to a person briefed on the case who spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss
the ongoing investigation.
No arrests had been made, and police and federal agents renewed appeals for any video, audio and photos taken by marathon spectators.
UPDATE 2:45 p.m. A 29-year-old restaurant manager has been identified as one of three people killed in the bombing at the Boston Marathon.
Her father says Krystle Campbell, of Medford, Mass., had gone with her best friend to take a picture of the friend's boyfriend crossing the finish line on Monday afternoon.
William Campbell says his daughter, who worked at a restaurant in nearby Arlington, was "very caring, very loving person, and was daddy's little girl." He says the loss has devastated the family.
He says the friend was seriously injured in the explosion.
An 8-year-old, Martin Richard of Boston, also died. He was at the finish line watching the race with his family.
Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick says no unexploded bombs were found at the Boston Marathon. He says the only explosives were the ones that went off Monday.
Three people were killed, including an 8-year-old boy, and 176 people were injured by two explosions just seconds apart near the finish line.
Special Agent in Charge Richard DesLauriers says there are no known additional threats and agents are following a number of leads.
ATF agent Gene Marquez says authorities are looking for amateur video and photographic evidence that can give clues to who set off the bombs.
The scene is expected to take several days to process.