Another OU Employee Indicted For Bone Theft

Posted on:

< < Back to

An indictment has been served on another Ohio University employee in the case of bones and human remains allegedly stolen from an the Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine.

Jerry Reed, 49, is charged with obstructing justice, a fifth-degree felony, after investigator's found that he had allegedly been "tipping off" the Athens man primarily charged in the case. He was indicted Monday in Athens County Common Pleas Court.

The thefts took place at OU between May 2011 and September 2012, and included loose human bones, skulls, skeletons, plastinated human remains, autopsy saws and other materials purchased by the university.

The man accused of stealing the bones and remains, Weston Henri Moquin, 28, appeared in federal court on Jan. 7 to enter a plea of guilty to one count of interstate transportation of stolen property and one count of theft from a program receiving federal funds, according to previous Messenger reporting.

Athens County Prosecutor Keller Blackburn said he met with investigators involving Moquin's case and Reed's involvement.

"I met with investigators and we discussed the overall case," Blackburn said. "I acquiesced to let (Moquin's case) go to the federal courts and we looked into local charges for Reed."

Reed, who was the director of medical informatics at OU, has been placed on paid administrative leave, according to Katherine Quaranta, spokeswoman for OU. She was not aware how long Reed had been in the position and said the university had no other comment to make in the case.

Moquin agreed to a plea agreement in federal court and he could be sentenced to a maximum of 10 years in prison for each charge. A pre-sentence investigation will be conducted before sentencing can occur.

Moquin was an anatomical assistant and provided administrative support for faculty members teaching anatomy classes. He had full access to the university's collection, Quaranta said in an earlier statement to The Messenger.

His employment with the university ended in September 2012 when he stopped reporting for work, prior Messenger reports stated.