Quarantine Playlists: Chris Pyle< < Back to
Although gathering for live music will be impossible for a little while, WOUB Culture is trying to keep the groove alive by asking members of the regional music scene about the music they have been relying on to get through these strange times.
Chris Pyle is the owner of Athens, OH’s Donkey Coffee as well as a local music aficionado.
1. Ladies and Gentlemen The Bangles – The Bangles
Wonderful power pop from the early underrated Bangles.
2. Blowout Comb – Digable Planets
Old school hiphop that I can’t get enough of.
3. The Seeger Sessions – Bruce Springsteen
One of the best things he’s released in the last 30 years.
4. Coloring Book – Chance The Rapper
Infectious Hip hop gospel.
5. Automatic For The People – R.E.M.
One of their best albums from one of the greatest American bands of all time.
6. Cuz I Love You – Lizzo
Wonderful new pop/r&b/hip hop music
7. Specialty Story Box Set – Various
So much great stuff over 5 cd’s from the late 50’s, early 60’s R&B label.
8. The Bends – Radiohead
They have SO MANY great albums. This one is starting to get overlooked. It shouldn’t be.
9. Soul Jazz Records, Chicago Soul – Various
What is there to say? Amazing comp from an amazing label.
10. Black Sheets Of Rain – Bob Mould
Maybe my favorite post Husker Du album.
11. Purple Mountain – Purple Mountain
One of my favorite records of the last few years.
12. Nigeria – Grant Green
Great jazz record that has gotten me going in the mornings lately.
13. Emergency Third Rail Power Trip – Rain Parade
Wonderful jangly guitar songs from the mid 80’s paisley underground.
14. Psychedelic Dub – Mad Professor
How great is this? It’s REALLY great.
15. The Complete Stax Box Set – Staple Singers
I’ve been listening to this non stop over the last month. Can’t get enough. This will turn your frown upside down. The album from this I would recommend most is “Be Altitude.” Great positive message in tough times. A Must for getting rid of the blues.