[ Ethan Sargeant | WOUB ]

Newark Catholic takes revenge on Heath, closes in on LCL-Cardinal title

By: ,
Posted on:

< < Back to

HEATH, Ohio (WOUB) — With a sunset over Swank Field, the Newark Catholic Green Wave showed up and stormed on against the Heath Bulldogs, and capped off the night with a 35-7 win.

The first quarter was a slow start for the Wave. After recovering an attempted onside kick from the Bulldogs, the Green Wave would take a bad snap over the head of QB Miller Hutchinson and the Bulldogs would recover on the 50-yard line. The defense for Newark Catholic would flex its muscles and force the first three and out of many. Newark Catholic would take on their own 24-yard line. 

A long 36-yard run from senior running back Mason Hackett would keep the drive alive for the Wave. Miller Hutchinson would throw back to back long passes to Grant Moore and David Carr to put the Wave on the one-yard line. At 4:37 in the first the Green Wave would strike first as Mason Hackett would take the snap from Miller Hutchinson and dive headfirst into the endzone. Newark Catholic leads 7-to-0. 

The Bulldogs would take over but be forced to punt yet again by the Newark Catholic defense. On the proceeding drive by the Green Wave, Miller Hutchinson rolls out of the pocket and is picked off by the Bulldogs Defense. Heath would take over on their own one yard line and once again the Green Wave would stop them in their tracks. Heath would be forced to punt for a third consecutive time. 

The Wave would drive again this time and Mason Hackett would take the handoff from Hutchinson and strike again from 30 yards out. Extending the lead for Newark Catholic, 14-0.  

The Bulldogs refused to leave for the locker room without a score. Late in the second quarter, taking over on the 35-yard line, Heath QB Brayden Bales would strike fast with back to back 20 yard passing plays. The clock sitting at 26.9 seconds Bales would hit wide receiver Scott Humphrey to score in the closing of the first half, Newark Catholic leads 14-7 at halftime. 

Third quarter action would remain stagnant for both the Bulldogs and the Green Wave, as neither team would find the end zone through the first 12 minutes. 

As the fourth quarter rolled around the Green Wave would hit the ground running with another one-Yard Rushing TD from Mason Hackett, Newark Catholic up now 21-to-7.

Heath would be unable to convert on a late 4th and 2 but would find luck as the Bulldogs recovered a fumble on their own 43-yard line. 

After locking down the Brayden Bales and the Bulldogs offense, the Newark Catholic Offense would find the end zone two more times in the quarter, with a 43-yard pass to Grant Moore, and a 45-yard rushing TD from Mikey Hess. 

The Newark Catholic Green Wave would take this one 35-7 over the Heath Bulldogs.