Suggested Listening ’22: Chris Pyle< < Back to
It’s that time of year again! WOUB Culture has reached out to a variety of folks involved in various capacities with the music and arts throughout WOUB’s diverse coverage region to inquire: “what have you been listening to this year, my friend?” Find their answers on WOUB Culture all throughout the month of December.
Chris Pyle is a local music geek that eats, sleeps, and lives music. He is also the owner of Donkey Coffee.
Best Albums of 2022
1. “White Jesus Black Problems” by Fantastic Negrito
2. “Big Time” by Angel Olsen
3. “Wet Leg” by Wet Leg
4. “Look Up” by The Harlem Gospel Travelers
5. “Blue Rev” by Alvvays
6. “Riddy Arman” by Riddy Arman
7. “Past Life Regression” by Paper Cuts
8. “Rock Creek Park” by Odissee
9. “Lucifer on the Sofa” by Spoon
10. “Whatever You Need” by Johnny Ray Daniels
What a wonderful year for women in punk and indie rock. Also, a great year for Americana from old stalwarts and newcomers putting their fresh new take on the genre. The biggest surprise for me were two fantastic black gospel albums with that iconic gritty live production sound from the ’50s and ’60s.
The pop charts seemed a bit boring this year overall but the underground is thriving, thank God. And how is Spoon still putting out top rate music this far into their career?!?!?!? I mean, they’ve been putting out albums for over a quarter century now. Good grief! Don’t forget to buy vinyl locally here in Athens!