Fort Frye takes the Big Red down to the wire to improve to 3-0

Posted on:

< < Back to

WATERFORD, Ohio (WOUB) The sun was beaming down at Fort Frye high school to set the scene for the Belaire Big Reds to take on the Cadets. You could feel the energy from the loyal Fort Frye fans that set the tone for both teams.

The Cadets took that energy and used it on defense putting a brick wall up in front of the Cadets. Fort Frye would slowly chip away their defense through the first quarter fighting for every inch down the field.

Clayton Miller was the shining star for the Fort Frye offense, seeming unstoppable. Not only was he unstoppable on offense, but on defense he was a force to be reckoned with, often stopping the Big Reds in their tracks.

Miller also read the field like a book seemingly knowing what play Belaire was going to call next. This would all pay off as quarterback Sebastian Huck threw an amazing pass to Miller for a 9-yard touchdown.

The Cadets would go up 6-0 after a failed two-point conversion in the last minute of the quarter.

Just when it seemed the quarter was over Belaire’s Mac Pettigrew ran 78 yards down the field to put the Big Red up 7-6 at the end of the 1st quarter. Speaking of Max Pettigrew, something noticeable watching the game is how much of a leader he was on the field.

Every time he ran onto the field, he was always hyping everyone up and running every play with confidence and precision. Looking at the Fort Frye fans, their reaction after that Mac Pettigrew touchdown was simply now we have a game.

At the start of the second quarter the energy of both teams was pretty much a reflection of the start of the game, with both teams chipping away at each other.

This quarter would send both teams back to the locker room without adding any points to the scoreboard with the score remaining 7-6 Belaire. The first team to answer after halftime would be Fort Frye thanks to Sebastian Huck with a 2 yard rush touchdown making it 7-12 Fort Frye.

The Big Red would not respond to that in the third quarter and both teams were looking at a close score to start the fourth quarter.

The fourth quarter was full of scoring for both teams. First, Belaire’s Luke Heatherington would go for 17 yards for a Big Red touchdown. From there, Mac Pettigrew would yet again add to his stats connecting on a clutch two-point conversion attempt making it a tie game 15-15.

With the game coming down to the wire, Fort Frye’s Bryndan Riddle would receive a nine-yard touchdown pass from Sebastian Huck putting them up over the Big Red 21-15.

Kicker Tytan Waller would put the cherry on top for the Cadets knocking his kick through and Fort Frye would win 22-15. Despite Belaire’s Mac Pettigrew’s amazing performance with 88 yards, the Cadets fought hard on both sides of the field to take a well-deserved win.