Ohio Fire Marshal Gives Safety Tips For Heater Use

Posted on:

< < Back to
The state fire marshal is urging Ohioans to take safety precautions when using alternative heat sources to stay warm during chilly weather.
Fire Marshal Larry Flowers says there is an increased risk for home fires as people use more space heaters, kerosene heaters and wood stoves.
He says such heaters need to be kept at least three feet from combustible materials. As with generators, the manufacturers' instructions should be followed. Heaters shouldn't be refilled while hot or refueled indoors, and a kitchen oven shouldn't be used to heat a home.
In a power outage, Flowers says all electrical appliances should be switched to the off position, and any candles being burned should be kept away from children.