Regional Schools Close Friday Due to Illness< < Back to
ALBANY, Ohio — An uptick in the flu and flu-like symptoms led to more area schools closing on Friday.
Among the schools making the announcement were:
- Adena Local Schools (Also closed on Monday, Feb. 3)
- Alexander Local Schools
- Caldwell EVSD
- Chillicothe City Schools (Also closed on Monday, Feb. 3)
- Gallia County Local Schools
- Huntington Local Schools
- Lakewood Local Schools
- Logan-Hocking Schools
- New Lexington City Schools
- Northwest Local Schools (Scioto County)
- Pickaway Ross Vocational Center
- Pike Christian Academy
- Southern Local Schools (Also closed on Monday, Feb. 3)
- Valley Local Schools
- Washington Court House City Schools
- Waverly City Schools (Also closed Monday, Feb. 3)
- Zane Trace Local Schools
In notices sent to parents and posted on social media, many of the schools indicated that custodial teams would disinfect the facilities during the closure.
“Our custodial staff members have worked tirelessly to implement a number of strategies the past two weeks in an effort to disinfect our facilities,” wrote Southern Local Schools District Superintendent Scott Christman Thursday. “Those strategies have included nightly disinfections on all surfaces in the building including desks, tables, and lockers. We have also added disinfections on the weekends that have included the surfaces on all of our school buses.”
Attendance typically drops for schools during flu season, but educators have been more cautious this year due to fears surrounding the corona virus.