[Andrew Bowlby | WOUB]

Ohio Field Hockey’s comeback falls short against Miami

Posted on:

< < Back to

ATHENS, Ohio (WOUB) — Ohio (4-5, 2-2 MAC) fell in its first game of the weekend 3-1 against the Miami Redhawks (9-5, 4-0 MAC). 

Miami dominated the possession battle early. The Redhawks took the first six shots of the game, with four shots coming in the first five minutes. They were also able to record three penalty corners. 

However, Miami was unable to convert any of their early attempts behind senior Macy Lotze’s strong performance in the cage.

“I walked up to her after the game and told her she was fantastic,” head coach Ali Johnstone said. “She came out of the cage and was really solid in her approach. She had a great game.”

With just over two minutes left in the first period, the Bobcats earned a penalty corner. Sophomore back Anouk Plaehn took the team’s first shot with two minutes left in the first period, however, she was unable to convert. The first period ended with the score knotted at 0-0.

Both teams traded solid defensive possessions until eight minutes left in the second period. After the Redhawks earned a corner penalty, senior Claudia Negrete Garcia was able to convert a smooth shot to give Miami the 1-0 lead. 

After Garcia’s goal, the trend of strong defense would continue, as both the Redhawks and Bobcats would be unable to convert for the remainder of the half.

Miami carried that momentum into the second half with a quick goal from junior Carlie Service. The score would give the Redhawks a 2-0 lead.

However, Ohio also came into the second half looking much more comfortable on offense. The Bobcats would outshoot Miami five-to-two in the third period.

This increase in shot attempts would culminate in Ohio’s first goal of the game with just under a minute left in the period. Sophomore Sasha Dikotla would sneak in a shot from the right side of the net off of an assist from Meela Koop. This never-say-die attitude is something Johnstone highlighted after the game.

“They fight hard and smart,” Johnstone said. “They are never wild and out of control, but they always fight together.” 

Due to the Redhawk’s strong showing, the Bobcats were unable to carry momentum into the fourth period. With the score standing-pat at 2-1 for the majority of the period, Miami would pull away with just under six minutes left in the game.

Garcia was able to convert her second goal of the day on a penalty shot attempt. This score would be the final for both teams, allowing Miami to take the victory. 

Ohio’s next matchup will be against Wake Forest at home on Oct. 8.