Ohio University Classic Recipes – Ho Ho Cake And Sour Cream Coffee Cake< < Back to
If you were a student at Ohio University, you may have celebrated the completion of finals or a 20-page paper with a piece of Ho Ho Cake.
A staple at Baker Center, Ohio University’s student union, generations of Bobcats have enjoyed the delightful concoction of chocolate cake, layered with light, whipped cream and covered in the perfect chocolate topping.
If you’re one of the unfortunate folks who have never had the opportunity to try this tasty creation, then today is your lucky day. We have the recipe thanks to Ohio University’s Dining Services.
Ho Ho Cake
Devil’s Food Cake Mix
5 tablespoons flour
1 1/4 cups milk
1 cup sugar
2 sticks margarine
1/2 cup Crisco
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 ounces pre-melted chocolate or 3 one-inch squares unsweetened chocolate
2 teaspoons hot water
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1. Make a regular chocolate cake in a 9 x 13 pan, according to directions on the box.
2. First topping: Heat flour and milk in a saucepan. Mix and heat mixture, stirring constantly until thick. Let cool. In a bowl, cream sugar, one stick margarine and Crisco. Mix with cooled flour mixture. Beat well for about eight minutes. (Looks like whipped cream when ready.) Spread on the cake and refrigerate.
3. Second topping: Melt the remaining stick of margarine and let cool. Beat egg, vanilla and chocolate. Mix with cooled margarine. Add hot water and powdered sugar. Mix well. Spread over the cream topping and refrigerate.
Note: If you’re feeling really nostalgic and what it to be just like OU’s Ho Ho Cake, you’ll need to cook the cake in round pans, let cool in refrigerator, then cut layers in half and spread creamy mixture between the layers. Cover with the chocolate topping.
Sour Cream Coffee Cake
Oh, this is good stuff! Nothing is (or was) better than attending a meeting where the sour cream coffee cake would be offered, or locating it in the cases at Baker Center. It’s definitely a classic recipe, and here it is.
2 cups and 2 tablespoons sugar
2 sticks of butter
2 cups sifted cake flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 cup sour cream
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup pecans, chopped
1. For the cake batter, cream 2 cups sugar, eggs and butter until very light and fluffy. Add flour, baking powder and salt. Carefully fold in sour cream and vanilla.
2. For the topping, mix together 2 tablespoons sugar, cinnamon and pecans.
3. Grease and flour a Bundt cake pan. Sprinkle half of the topping in bottom of prepared pan, and top with half of the batter. Add the remaining topping and then the rest of the batter.
4. Bake at 350 degrees for 55-60 minutes.