Waterford player watches Fort Frye player receive a pass
Waterfords Nick Fouss prepares to make a tackle Friday against the Fort Frye Cadets. PHOTO: Jacob Matta

Fort Frye Wins 12th Straight Against Waterford

Posted on:

< < Back to

WATERFORD, Ohio- Two rival schools separated by less than a mile battled in a highly anticipated, non-conference Friday night showdown. Fort Frye came into the game looking to continue their 11-game win streak over Waterford. Last year the Cadets defeated the Wildcats by a score of 22-20. However, this year would not be nearly as close as Fort Frye would own the whole game and win 49-0.

The very first play looked promising for Waterford as the defense exploded through the O-line and sent Fort Frye back two yards. However, that hot defensive start would be short lived as the Cadet’s fullback, Collin Welsh ran it in from five yards out for the first score of the game.

On the following kickoff, Waterford’s Nick Fouss fumbled the ball after attempting a hand off. The Cadets would jump all over it and take over at the 20 yard line.

Just two minutes after their first score, Tyler Fisher would stroll five yards into the end zone to give Fort Frye a 14-0 lead.

On Waterford’s first official drive, Zane Heiss would be intercepted by Fort Frye. The interception would help set up for a beautiful touchdown pass to Brady Schilling, extending their lead to 21 to end the first quarter.

At the start of the second quarter, the Wildcats would pull a fake punt play on fourth down, but Fort Frye would not be fooled as their defense stepped up and forced a turnover on downs.

With eight minutes left in the half, the Cadets would continue to utilize their strong running game as Tyler Fisher forced his way in for another score.

The Waterford pass rush descends upon the quarterback PHOTO: Jacob Matta
A tackle is made in the open field PHOTO: Jacob Matta
The Waterford Wildcats break through the banner before their Friday night game. PHOTO: Jacob Matta
The Fort Frye Cadets huddle up PHOTO: Jacob Matta

The Cadets would have a few big run plays that would get called back by two holding penalties. The Wolverine defense would take advantage of the penalties and force Fort Frye to face their first fourth down.

On fourth and long, Fort Frye would have a bad snap and the punter would improvise by connecting with Brady Schilling, giving the Cadets a first down. However, on the very next play, Waterford would intercept Ian Ellis’ pass with one minute left in the first half. The Cadet defense would not let the teams’ first turnover impact them as they forced the Wildcats to punt it back to them.

With time winding down on the clock, Fort Frye would head to the locker room with a commanding 28-0 halftime lead.

Thanks to the dominance of the Cadet defense, Fort Frye would end up with 314 more yards than the Wolverines. Most of Fort Frye’s 362 yards would come from the run game with 302 total rushing yards and six rushing touch downs.

Waterford will look to bounce back next week as they travel to Eastern, while Fort Frye will look to keep their undefeated season intact as they travel to Meadowbrook.