You are viewing the June 2, 2020 daily archives
Many people are struggling with insomnia like never before. Specialists explain why these times put an extra strain on our ability to get needed rest — and what to do about it.
ATHENS, Ohio (WOUB) — A crowd of at least 500 people lined the streets in Athens for a peaceful protest on Tuesday, joining a day of demonstrations across the United States after the death of George Floyd. Throughout the afternoon, various people spoke from the steps of the county courthouse. Ohio University student KeShawn Mellon… Read More
COLUMBUS, Ohio (WKSU) — Gov. Mike DeWine dedicated most of his press conference about the coronavirus Tuesday to discussing racism in the state. “The essential function of government is to protect the most vulnerable among us,” DeWine said. “I am the governor for all of the state of Ohio. It is my job to serve all… Read More
Physician Shortages in Medically Underserved Areas: Fostering Inclusive Healthcare Through the Rural and Urban Scholars Pathways Programs
Shortages of primary care physicians in medically underserved areas are well-documented across the United States. Medical schools are developing curricular innovations to prepare primary care physicians for medical practice in rural and urban underserved communities. On this episode of Defining Moments, Dr. Sharon Casapulla and Dr. Alyssa Gerth talk about the Rural and Urban Scholars… Read More
CHARLESTON, W.Va. (AP) — Three people have tested positive for the coronavirus at Marshall University as the college is allowing athletes to return to campus for training. A Monday news release from the school says two student athletes and one staffer tested positive over the weekend. They have been quarantined and a contact tracing investigation… Read More
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine is seeking pay freezes and cuts for state employees as the coronavirus pandemic continues to depress tax revenue. Kimberly Murnieks is DeWine’s director of the Office of Budget and Management. She said Monday that updated forecasts for the budget year beginning July 1 now show a $2.5… Read More
Program begins June 5 ATHENS, OH – As the school year is wrapping up and summer activities have been cancelled due to the Coronavirus pandemic, many are wondering how they are going to keep their children entertained this summer. WOUB Public Media’s Learning Lab has teamed up with the Muskingum County Library System to help… Read More
WOUB Digital · Making Music as a Way to Survive: Captain Chucke Even if you don’t think you’ve ever heard regional musician Captain Chucke, you probably have. If you’ve ever walked by Whit’s Frozen Custard Athens location on a summer day, chances are you have heard the Nelsonville-born-and-raised musician’s folk-punk/flailgrass stylings. Chucke has spent the… Read More
The 213-year-old law allows a president to “call forth the militia for the purpose of suppressing” an insurrection. Trump threatened to deploy the military to states that don’t quell violent protests.
President Trump labeled violence that has accompanied many protests against police killings of black people as “acts of domestic terror.”
The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services says about 80% of nursing homes nationwide reported data to the CDC as required. The remaining 20% could face fines if they don’t comply.